Sunday 2 November 2014

Halloween!

In our practical with Sue we practised Day of The Dead Makeup, also known as Candy Skulls. The aim of the lesson was to complete a look as symmetrical as possible! 
Dia De Los Muertos (Day of The Dead) is a Mexican Holiday, celebrating those who have passed on to the afterlife. The Candy Skull makeup is inspired by the sweets that are sold in Mexico during this holiday, skulls decorated in vast, extravagant colours, sequins and glitter. They are gifts for both the dead and living, they are not morbid, as the aim is to celebrate the dead, and remove the fear of death itself. People decorate their own faces in the same way, and from it's roots has spread around the whole world.
(Thaneeya LLC, 2010, Dia De Los Muertos History (online), [viewed 02/11/2014] available from:http://www.celebrate-day-of-the-dead.com/dia-de-los-muertos-history.html)

 I'm happy with the outcome of my Candy Skull, but I do need to work on the symmetry of it. I used the Supra Colours by Kryolan for this piece, which are grease paints. I used Illamasqua Skin Base in White to create the pale look, then used the blue grease paint to create bold eye sockets, and then used my fingers to create the blue contouring, blending as I went. This inspired me to create my own look for halloween that night, so I decided to be a skeleton, using just black and white Kryolan Supra Colours. Halloween is one of my favourite days of the year, as you can go all out to create a fun look, that you can't really fashion the rest of the year!  I have previously been Avatar, which was also a very fun look to create, painting my whole body blue!




Reference: http://www.celebrate-day-of-the-dead.com/sugar-skulls.html


No comments:

Post a Comment