Friday 3 October 2014

New Elizabethans - Project Brief

Hi all! 
About Me




I'm Georgia, and I am studying Makeup and Hair Design at Southampton Solent University. I am currently at the end of my second week here, and loving every minute. I haven't had any training at all in makeup, I have self taught, mainly just experimenting with different looks, products, and materials. I finished my A-Levels in Art, Photography and English Literature this July, but I have always been interested in makeup in all aspects, from movies, to fashion. I have had work experience with a makeup artist in Hertfordshire, and also work experience in a hairdressers. I would ultimately like to be working in special effects makeup for movies when I'm older, as I love creating fantasy looks.


The Brief
Our project brief named 'The New Elizabethans', is a mixture of contemporary and historical makeup,  based on the Elizabethan period. Queen Elizabeth I reigned from 1558-1603, often referred to as 'The Golden Age' in English History. The Golden Age saw the flourishing of poetry, music and literature, as well as the expansion and exploration abroad. Queen Elizabeth I was highly looked up to, she was a woman of great power. Her unmarried status led her to be depicted as a virgin or a goddess, making a virtue of her virginity. As she aged, Elizabeth's look became more and more elaborate, the heavy white makeup created the illusion of her beauty, hiding her ever-growing wrinkles. She wanted to keep with idea of being 'The Virgin Queen', so purity was important. The light hair and white complexion was often complimented with the rosy cheeks and red lips. Not only was the makeup completed to portray her purity, but also her nobility. (Drea Leed, 1996-2008, Elizabethan Makeup 101 (online) [viewed 3/10/2014], available from http://www.elizabethancostume.net/makeup.html). Makeup was used as a signal of a person's status. Women of low status would be outside working, and would acquire a tan, whereas a noble lady would be pale from being inside. The women went to extreme lengths to achieve this pale face, including being bled, and using a mixture of white lead and vinegar (which was poisonous).



I am very excited to start this project, particularly designing my own Elizabethan inspired look. Im fearful of the final 2 hours to create our final look, as I have never had a time limit to complete a look, so that is one skill I would like to work on for this task. Im excited to learn the practical skills to create my Elizabethan style look, which will aid my studies to become a professional makeup artist. 













No comments:

Post a Comment