Wednesday 1 October 2014

If I could, I would...

The summer project I was set leading up to starting my Makeup and Hair Design course at uni, was called 'If I could, I would...'. The aim of it was to think about our aspirations in the future, where we wanted to be in 5 years time. For me, I would like to be working in film, preferably special effects makeup, and in fashion, working on editorial photo shoots. The mood board I completed consisted of magazine clippings, with a range of images, from high fashion models, to scenes from movies.
This mood board helped me document my aspirations, which I can always refer back to. The next task in the summer project was to review two films, my choice was 'Blade Runner' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'. The points I covered were why these movies were both so iconic in the film industry but also in the the fashion world, as both movies sparked inspiration for new, exciting looks. By studying these movies, I realised how both makeup and hair is so important to the film industry, and making these films so successful. 

Blade Runner
Harrison Ford stars in this futuristic, cyber-punk sci-fi that grasped the nation. For myself, it was not Ford himself that attracted my attention, but Darryl Hannah, Ford's co-star. Performing as the character of Pris, Hannah portrays this doll-like woman who is torn between innocence and madness. The actress created the look herself, as the director wanted each of the hopeful actresses that wanted to play Pris, to create their own version of her, each bringing something new to the screen. Darryl's Nosferatu inspired look became iconic as she was chosen to be Pris, the 'racoon stripe' eye makeup proved highly influential in up and coming pop culture. Even celebrities such as Annie Lennox appeared on the cover of The Rolling Stone magazine in 1983, showcasing this daring look. 'It was supposed to be a punk, New Wave look of the future', says Darryl. Supporting makeup artist, Marvin Westmore, worked with Darryl to create this look that inspired generations to come, ultimately making the actress a huge style icon. I believe this film is iconic in terms of fashion and style due to the daring choices made, and how the actress worked with her features to create this striking look. It inspired people to become more daring with their own looks just alike Darryl Hannah.


Breakfast at Tiffany's

The second film I chose to review was the popular 'Breakfast at Tiffanys'. This became a film that was iconic to the fashion world, and still reigns at the top to this day. Audrey Hepburn regarded the character of the ambiguous 'Holly Golightly' as her most challenging role, but it is nonetheless her most memorable and undeniably most famous. Holly Golightly is an extravagant but elegant character, controversially shocking audiences everywhere. Hepburn portrays one of the first ever party girls on film, who is not tied down to a man. Women around the world we inspired by the wild seductress, she simply could not be tied down by a man. Her style was simple and elegant, Hepburn managed to make a man's white shirt look fabulous. The dress worn in the opening scene of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' is now considered one of the most famous 'little black dresses' of all time, and most likely always linger throughout time. Alongside Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor, Hepburn is still looked up to as one of the most influential females and fashion icons. Her bouffant, back-combed, but elegant up-do and classic makeup is still fashioned today, her timeless look can be seen inspiring women across the globe.


















No comments:

Post a Comment